Sunday, May 25, 2014

A new leaf

We all have bad experiences in life. Divorce, death of loved ones, and the acceptance of our shortcomings. Less often, we have experiences that change us. Events that leave us forever altered. There's good and bad in everything, and with such massive change, the bad can be more obvious. However, we can choose to see any event as a positive one.

I have an older friend who has gone through things most people can't even think about. One of these things was the loss of her 19 year-old daughter to a car accident. She is one of the most inspiring and positive people I know; she feels the horrible things that have happened but doesn't give in to her suffering - she may not be glad of what happened to her, but she will openly admit that she knows the purpose of her daughter's death. She accepts the worst thing that ever happened to her as necessary to her own growth. 

For some of us, the loss of a job can be worse than the death of a parent. Everyone's life-changing experience is different and it's impossible to determine how any one experience affects any one person. My experience leaving graduate school changed my life forever.  It was my most traumatic time but I choose to associate it also with my most profound and life-saving time as well. And I encourage all of you to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment